Henderson Police Alert Residents About Credit Card Skimming
June 21, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT SCOTT WILLIAMS, (702) 267-4596
Henderson, Nev. – The Henderson Police Department is alerting the public to a growing trend of fraudulent activity impacting Henderson residents, commonly known as skimming. Skimming involves attaching an electronic device to an ATM or a gas pump card reader for the purpose of illegally gathering the account information to be used for fraudulent activity.
The skimming devices can be attached externally or internally and will vary in shape, size and design, but are made to be unobtrusive or mimic legitimate card reading components.
Henderson Police encourage residents to be aware of signs that indicate skimming is occurring or has occurred:
• Card slot on the reader is loose or other parts of the machine have dislodged or appear altered.
• The presence of double sided tape, glue or pry marks are around the card reader.
• Observation of someone tampering with a card reader or standing by one for an unusual amount of time.
• An indication that the lock surrounding the card reader has been tampered with.
• After swiping a card, the transaction could not be completed or the device asks to be re-swiped multiple times.
Henderson Police advise that if a skimming device is located, please do not touch or remove the device. Immediately contact the police and notify the manager.
For more information please click the following link to watch a short YouTube video from the Henderson Police Department about skimming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOanyy0Bf7c&feature=youtu.be
Anyone with information about these types of cases is urged to call the Henderson Police Department at 702-267-4911, 3-1-1, or, to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555 or visit Crime Stoppers website or text: “CRIMENV” + tip info to 274637 (CRIMES). Message & data rates may apply. Tips directly leading to a felony arrest or an indictment processed through Crime Stoppers may result in a cash reward.
# # #